It was after I finished writing the Top 10 Bella Names that aren’t Isabella when it struck me that not all Isabella’s answer to Bella, some are referred to as Izzy, so consider this post a natural progression from that.
– Means gift of Isis, who was the mythological goddess of fertility and birth.
– The name of a flower.
– A Slavonic name meaning spark.
– The French version of Isabel, meaning pledged to God.
– A variation of Adelaide, meaning noble.
– Greek goddess of the moon.
– One of the three graces of womanly charm, according to Greek legend, this one representing charity.
– A variant of Beatrix, meaning voyager.
– Another flower name, but also the Greek for rainbow.
– The name of a beautiful, yet tragic lover in Greek mythology, her story inspired the well known Shakespeare play: Romeo and Juliet.
I really wanted to put Isla on the list, but alas, she sits at #297 in 2010, which disqualifies her for the list. I also considered putting Alice on the list, but again, she’s in the Top 1000.